Monday, August 23, 2010

Teaching people, Not lessons.

Amazing week! I just wanted to start out by thanking all of you who wrote me this week! Oh wait... It was only my lovely mother! It's a good thing there is such a thing as forgiveness HAIGH! So this past week has been an amazing eye-opener! It started out with Zone Conference where president introduced the 8 new curricula that were to be added to/ emphasized in Preach My Gospel. And most of them had to do with Teaching! Let me just tell you how many times I have fasted and prayed to become a better teacher, read through chapter 10 about 100 times and felt like no improvement was being made. I had known that without the spirit you cannot teach so I was doing my best to be 110% obedient so that the Spirit would be able to testify to the people of the truthfulness of the message that we teach. Long story short... The Zone Conference laid it all out for me... danced around in my soul... and testified that this would work! As mentioned there are about 8 different subjects they would talk about. But they will be only teaching one every month... so that by spring next year the new missionaries will be allowed to be taught it. We talked about Teaching people and not lessons. A lot of it had to do with Asking Inspired questions... Listening... and (my favorite) TRUSTING in the SPIRIT to leave what you had planned that morning and go directly to their needs´. By doing this... the spirit will be able to testify to them because as they answer our questions they teach themselves of truths. We ask them how they feel... and then follow up with a simple WHY? Which allows you perfect time to testify and allow them to recognize the Spirit in their Conversion. The assistants showed us the district 2 video which is day and night compared to the other one... and really showed our the differences that the companionships can have... if taken care of properly... can add to the Spirit and not drive it away! The Zone Leaders talked about different tools that we as missionaries could use while teaching (being many) and encouraged us to use them to spice up our teaching. Amazing.
So Later that night we came back and were able to have dinner with the ward mission leader and 1 investigator Michelle from china, and Zaki and Zeina who were recently baptized. We were able to watch the Special Witnesses of Christ video. As I asked them how they felt... they couldn't sense the reality of an apostle of Jesus Christ here on Earth. My ward mission leader had earlier that day recommended that I bare testimony of grandfather and how real he is. I had never done such a thing, I had never wanted to flaunt such a thing to complete stangers who didn't necessarily NEED to know. (Besides the fact that I don't tell anyone... everyone already knows) But I felt an impression that I should. And I did. I bore testimony of Christ and the atonement... I told them that I know that those men are inspired men of God and that God continues to reveal his secrets to these men. As I said... my grandfather is one of these men... Tears came to the eyes of my ward mission leader... Michelle nodded.. then did a double take... and they were blown away. Amongst the awkwardness of the situation... The spirit was so strong... and perhaps wanted to let me know the reality of his Holy Apostleship. How thankful I am to be born in this loving family where the gospel is so strong... and love constantly Felt. Anyways.... long tangent... but it had to be said! :)
We found a new man from India who had accepted another visit from us. We taught HIM, not a lesson! As we began to know his religious background... what he wanted to know fit perfectly in with the first lesson... As we listened and asked questions... the lesson... had seemed like it was going nowhere! But we closed and he had told us that he was VERY grateful that we listened to HIM, and answered HIS questions and did all we could to get HIM to understand our message. But we were thinking to ourselves.. yeah yeah... he's just being nice. But we told him to give the closing prayer.. and although reluctant... he offered the prayer. He closed we smiled and we walked him back to the bus stop. Then questions like.. what do I need to do once I know the Book of Mormon is true? Do I need to read the whole book? came up... andwe told him about the Authoirty being restored... again.. and then Baptism... and he changed the subject. The bus was coming... and he told us thank you again and said.. "you know.. I actually wanted to say... While I was praying... I felt this warmness in my heart that I haven't felt in a long time. Very surprised we said... YOU DID?! He said yes.. the spirit was very stong as we said thats IT! That is the spirit! He said.. Really? OK! We will definitely talk later!" And we went our separate ways. Just a testimony to me that the Lord shows his spirit in HIS time and in HIS way! Man this gospel is true.
Another teach with a man from Nigeria, Joseph has a strong desire to serve God. So we based our whole teach on that. And at the End we commited him to Baptism on the 11th of September... and he said WHAT TIME? haha Amazing! So the next teach we brought the ward mission leader.. made up a Baptismal Calender... And he came to church the next day with it all filled out with appointments... scriptures and lessons to be taught before his baptism! He is ON TRACK!
Many of our other investigators are preparing for the beginning Exams... but the Work is going forward... Michelle and Li are well on their way towards baptism... this is just very new to them... but with patience I know they will be baptized! Alinda came to church after a long time... and she loved it so she is also well on her way!
This is the lords work! Hope to hear from you all next week!
Love, your little brother... Äldste Wad

By the way... it is back to school sales going on here... and so... my camera is kinda lame... maybe you can tell from the pictures... but I am thinking about getting a new one for the rest of the mission? Let me know next week if you support my decision. But I will be getting a European collar shirt and a new suit for when grandfather comes so I will look good and because the suits and shirts are like half off right now soo.. yeah... So exciting! Thanks for writing me! Love ya mamma!



No comments:

Post a Comment